How to Care for Your Car Before and During Winter.
Cold weather, along with winter snow and ice, can cause a multitude of problems for your car and your driving. Salted roads and built up layers of ice take a toll on your car’s finish and undercarriage. At Wrecktify, we have created a few tips to help you keep your car in good condition throughout this winter season.
- Apply a protective wax coat to your vehicle. Winter weather will dull and eventually corrode your cars shiny exterior. Consider washing and waxing your vehicle in the late fall, before the colder months hit. When applying wax, concentrate on the lower areas of your car. Don’t wait too long to apply the protective coat on your car because cold weather can render your work useless. Wax is best applied in a warm or heated environment and can protect your car from salt, road chemicals, and that dreaded winter sludge.
- Drain and flush your radiator. Radiators should be drained and flushed at least once a year. Your radiator works extra hard in the winter, so give it a proper cleaning and fresh fuel. Many automotive and supply stores offer green disposal services where you can dump the waste, and fall is the ideal time to do it.
- Check your thermostat. The severity of winter cold and extreme temperature variations can wreak havoc on your thermostat. Minor breakdowns occur more in the winter due to faulty or old thermostats than any other cause. Any auto body shop can check the condition of your thermostat, and if necessary, replace it.
- Check your tires and your fluids. Tires will lose about 1 psi for every 10 degree drop in temperature. You do not want to take a drive in under-inflated tires during the winter, so check your tire pressure regularly. A common mistake is to overfill your tires, which can be just as dangerous as under-inflating. Besides tires, don’t forget to evaluate your antifreeze, oil, and windshield wiper fluid levels.
- Stash your trunk. You don’t want to be caught unprepared in winter weather. Even if you don’t need supplies for yourself, you can help somebody else out! Keep your trunk full with windshield scrapers, a spare tire, and warm protective clothing. Knowing you have equipment in case of emergency will give you peace of mind.
Practice Safe Driving
As always, please practice safe driving during this cold season. Winter weather causes all kinds of wrecks due to unsafe road conditions and unwary drivers. Wrecktify Collision and Restoration is here to help if an accident does occur; we will get you back on the road.